​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

 

 

Medieval Monasteries

Medieval Monasteries

0 €
Datum izida:3/29/2012 10:00:00 PM
Oblikovanje:Matjaž Učakar
Motiv:Minorite Monastery in Ptuj
Tisk:AS VABA MAA; Estonia
Izvedba:4-colour offset in sheets of 25 stamps
Papir:Senator Natral Litho PVA 96 g/m2 gummed
Velikost:
Zobčanje:comb 14 1/4 : 13 3/4
Ilustracija:
Fotografija:
Pošta:
Poštna številka:

Medieval Monasteries

<p>The origins of the Minorite friary of St Peter and St Paul in Ptuj, the oldest house of the Franciscan Friars Minor in Slovenia, date back to the 13th century. Historical sources show that it was founded in the year 1239. </p><p>Between 1681 and 1696 the friary and church were remodelled in the baroque style. The monumental baroque west front of the church, the work of Dionysius Merlino of Lugano, was completed in 1690.</p><p>&#160;</p><p>This was also the year that the Italian artists Antonio Ouadrio and Pietro Bettini completed the stuccowork in the friary refectory. The frescoes are believed to have been painted by Rupert Vallauer, a member of the Order of Friars Minor.</p><p>&#160;</p><p>On 4 January 1945 the church was reduced to rubble by Allied bombing. Efforts to rebuild it immediately after the war were unsuccessful. A post office was built on the site of the church. In 1989 the sanctuary of the former church was finally rebuilt. In 2001 the post office was demolished and the rebuilding of the church began. The exterior of the present church is a faithful recreation of the church's original appearance. St Anthony's Chapel contains a museum in which valuable statues and other remains from the original church are displayed.</p><p>&#160;</p><p>Following the difficult period that saw the destruction of the church and the nationalisation of the friary, in the last 25 years the Minorite friary has been restored to its original state, thanks to the efforts of the Friars Minor. Today, alongside its religious activities, which are its primary work, it is once again involved in cultural and educational activities. It houses a private music school and is home to the Victorinus of Poetovio Society. The refectory and courtyard are used as venues for concerts, seminars, exhibitions and conferences. The friary also has a rich library.</p><p><br>Fr. Milan Kos <br></p>